Warri, town and port, Delta state, southern Nigeria. It lies along the Warri River in the western Niger River delta, 30 miles (48 km) upstream from the port of Forcados on the Bight of Benin. Founded by Prince Ginuwa from Benin (60 miles [97 km] north) in the late 15th century, it grew to become the political and trading capital of the Itsekiri kingdom of Warri (Ouwerre). From the 15th to the 17th century, its obis (“kings”) had considerable contact with the Portuguese, and several converted to Roman Catholicism; they later became quite active in the slave trade. Although Warri switched to the export of palm oil and kernels in the mid-19th century, the kingdom declined and its territory came under British protection in 1884.
Long a market centre for local produce as well as a port, the town has assumed new economic importance with the discovery of natural gas and petroleum in the area. A Petroleum Training Institute opened there in 1972, and in 1978 Warri became the site of Nigeria’s second petroleum refinery. An oil-products pipeline runs from the refinery to Kaduna and Kano in northern Nigeria. At nearby Aladja, an integrated steel plant, designed to make greater Warri one of the leading steel centres in the country, opened in 1981. Warri town has furniture and soft-drink factories, secondary schools, trade schools, government hospitals, and a handicraft centre. Pop. (2006) local government area, 557,398. Travelling from Owerri to Warri by road is about 4 hours 21 minutes if average speed is 90km/hr.
Choosing A Bus from Owerri to Warri
There are several factors to consider when choosing a bus from Abuja Warri as stated below:
1. Budget: When considering the transport company to choose, you should look out for a transport company that offers a price range you can afford.
- Convenience: It is very important that you ask about the seating arrangements, so you don’t end up squashed or in a terrible seat for a 4-hour trip. Using the mytrip.ng mobile app will definitely help archive that.
- Proximity to your home: You should pick a transport company that has a terminal close to where you live. This would allow you to get there early on the day of your trip.
- Route: Different Transport companies ply different routes from Owerri to Warri, so it is advisable to pick a bus according to your preferred route.
The conditions stated above have been made so simple getting to know at your home with the use of the mytrip.ng mobile App.
Finding Warri Bound Buses
There are several companies which offer road transport services from Owerri to Warri. The buses which travel from Abuja to Warri route can be found at any of the following terminals;
Km 5 MCC Uratta Rd
Owerri, Imo State
+234 813 986 2090, firstname.lastname@example.org
Owerri Terminal, Imo State
Plot 9 Egbu Road,
Owerri, Imo State
Cost of Owerri to Warri Buses
A bus ticket from Owerri to Warri costs an average of N6,000 depending on the transport company and the category/ type of bus used for the journey. This is subject to change by the specific transport company. For current information on bus fares and routes, please download and check the mytrip.ng mobile App on Google playstore for real time prices of buses.
Travel Time from Owerri to Warri
A trip from Owerri to Warri by road is approximately 4 hours 21 minutes. This is based on militating factors that varies on weather, route taken etc. The time taken to travel by road from Owerri to Warri is about 7 to 8 hours. This wide time range depends on the following factors;
- The driving speed
- The nature and age of the vehicle
- The condition of the road on the route taken
- Traffic; this could be caused by various reasons, ranging from accidents to road repairs
- The route taken by the driver.
What to Pack
- Pack light. A trick I apply is that I make sure every item of clothing can be worn at least 3 times. Having a small bag will also give you a lot less to worry about while getting on board the bus.
- If you have to carry heavy bags, then you should be at the bus park about an hour earlier than the tentative take off time, so you and the transport company assistants can figure out the best way to cram your luggage into the bus.
- Your carry-on should be a backpack or a large handbag, since you can easily drop either on the floor of the bus if you get tired of carrying it on your lap.
What to Eat
The bus usually makes a stop at Ikeduru. You will find sufficient food items at this stop if you decide not to bring some from home.
It is advisable to eat light or not at all if like me, your stomach has no respect for you. This is because the only bathroom option available to you after the stop is the bushes by the roadside.
Where to Stay
There are a lot of tourist places and hotels in Warri that visitors don’t need to worry about where they could sleep in the cause of their visit. The hotels in Warri are classified in to executive, medium and low budget. Everyone can get accommodation no matter your budget, but for comfortability, convenience and security wise, we encourage you to visit Wetland hotel Located in Ekete, Wetland Hotel Udu provides a fitness centre and bar. Among the facilities of this property are a restaurant, a 24-hour front desk and room service, along with free WiFi.
- A seat right beside the window would be perfect if you can get it. They are usually the first seats to go. If you would like a window seat it is advisable to get to the bus park early.
- Prepare for weather changes by carrying a big scarf or a sweater.
- Expect stretches of bumpy roads, so keep a packet of Panadol in your bag for a resulting headache.
- You may sleep your way through most of the trip, it’ll seem faster that way.
- Keep your carry-on bag close to you at all times.
- Read signposts to get your bearings. If you need advice or help when you get to your stop, ask the driver or other passengers for help.
- Make sure you keep someone at home or at your destination abreast of your progress via text or phone call.
For your travel updates on prices, available buses, different selection of preferred bus and selection of preferred choice seat in real time, get to the Google play store, search for mytrip.ng mobile App, download, install, register, login and all is set on your finger tip. Mytrip.ng: a smarter way to travel across Nigerian States.