Awka is a town and capital of Anambra state, southern Nigeria. The town lies along roads leading from Owerri, Umuahia, Onitsha, and Enugu. Formerly covered with tropical forest, the area around Awka now mostly consists of wooded grassland. South of the town on the slopes of the Awka-Orlu Uplands are some examples of soil erosion and gullying. Awka is the traditional home of the Igbo (Ibo) blacksmiths; early bronze artifacts have been discovered in the vicinity, and the town’s artisans are still noted for their metalworking and wood carving. In the 19th century, Awka’s Agballa oracle, which was subservient to the supreme Igbo oracle (Chuku) at Arochukwu, was an active instrument of the hinterland slave trade. Awka is an agricultural trade centre (yams, cassava [manioc], corn [maize], palm oil and kernels) for the Igbo people of the surrounding area. Pop. (2006) local government area, 301,657.Travelling from PortHarcourt to Awka is estimated at 5 hours 30 minutes if average speed is 102km/hr.
Choosing A Bus from PortHarcourt to Awka
There are several factors to consider when choosing a bus from PortHarcourt to Awka as stated below:
1. Budget: When considering the transport company to choose, you should look out for a transport company that offers a price range you can afford.
- Convenience: It is very important that you ask about the seating arrangements, so you don’t end up squashed or in a terrible seat for a 5-hour trip. Using the mytrip.ng mobile app will definitely help archive that.
- Proximity to your home: You should pick a transport company that has a terminal close to where you live. This would allow you to get there early on the day of your trip.
- Route: Different Transport companies ply different routes from PortHarcourt to Awka, so it is advisable to pick a bus according to your preferred route.
The conditions stated above have been made so simple getting to know at your home with the use of the mytrip.ng mobile App.
Finding Awka Bound Buses
There are several companies which offer road transport services from PortHarcourt to Awka. The buses which travel from Abuja to Awka route can be found at any of the following terminals;
Port Harcourt Terminal, Rivers State
Eliozu Junction, East/West Road,
Port Harcourt, Rivers
Cost of PortHarcourt to Awka Buses
A bus ticket from PortHarcourt to Awka costs an average of N6,000 depending on the transport company and the category/ type of bus used for the journey. This is subject to change by the specific transport company. For current information on bus fares and routes, please download and check the mytrip.ng mobile App on Google playstore for real time prices of buses.
Travel Time from PortHarcourt to Awka
A trip from PortHarcourt to Awka by road is approximately 5 hours 130 minutes. This is based on militating factors that varies on weather, route taken etc. The time taken to travel by road from Abuja to Awka is about 6 to 5 hours. This wide time range depends on the following factors;
- The driving speed
- The nature and age of the vehicle
- The condition of the road on the route taken
- Traffic; this could be caused by various reasons, ranging from accidents to road repairs
- The route taken by the driver.
What to Pack
- Pack light. A trick I apply is that I make sure every item of clothing can be worn at least 3 times. Having a small bag will also give you a lot less to worry about while getting on board the bus.
- If you have to carry heavy bags, then you should be at the bus park about an hour earlier than the tentative take off time, so you and the transport company assistants can figure out the best way to cram your luggage into the bus.
- Your carry-on should be a backpack or a large handbag, since you can easily drop either on the floor of the bus if you get tired of carrying it on your lap.
What to Eat
The bus usually makes a stop at Enugu. You will find sufficient food items at this stop if you decide not to bring some from home.
It is advisable to eat light or not at all if like me, your stomach has no respect for you. This is because the only bathroom option available to you after the stop is the bushes by the roadside.
Where to Stay
There are a lot of tourist places and hotels in Awka that visitors don’t need to worry about where they could sleep in the cause of their visit or business. The hotels in Awka are classified in to presedential, medium and low budget. Everyone can get an accommodation no matter your budget, but for comfortability, convenience and security wise, we encourage you to visit De Santos Hotel, Awka which features a restaurant, bar, a shared lounge and garden in Awka. The hotel offers an outdoor swimming pool, fitness centre, evening entertainment and a 24-hour front desk.
- A seat right beside the window would be perfect if you can get it. They are usually the first seats to go. If you would like a window seat it is advisable to get to the bus park early.
- Prepare for weather changes by carrying a big scarf or a sweater.
- Expect stretches of bumpy roads, so keep a packet of panadol in your bag for a resulting headache.
- You may sleep your way through most of the trip, it’ll seem faster that way.
- Keep your carry-on bag close to you at all times.
- Read signposts to get your bearings. If you need advice or help when you get to your stop, ask the driver or other passengers for help.
- Make sure you keep someone at home or at your destination abreast of your progress via text or phone call.
For your travel updates on prices, available buses, different selection of preferred bus and selection of preferred choice seat in real time, get to the Google play store, search for mytrip.ng mobile App, download, install, register, login and all is set on your finger tip. Mytrip.ng: a smarter way to travel across Nigerian States.