Abuja, city, capital of Nigeria. It lies in the central part of Nigeria, in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT; created 1976). The city is approximately 300 miles (480 km) northeast of Lagos, the former capital (until 1991). During the 1980s the new capital city was built and developed on the grass-covered Chukuku Hills. The site was chosen for Nigeria’s new capital because of its central location, easy accessibility, salubrious climate, and low population density and the availability of land for future expansion. It was the first planned city to be built in Nigeria. Abuja lies at 1,180 feet (360 metres) above sea level and has a cooler climate and less humidity than is found in Lagos.
The city’s Central Area contains the city hall, national cultural institutes, and other government-related offices. It also contains the Three Arms Zone, which is home to the presidential palace, the National Assembly, the Supreme Court, the National Arboretum, the National Christian Centre, the National Mosque, and Millennium Park, the largest park in Abuja; the National Children’s Park and Zoo is nearby. Other areas provide housing, shopping facilities, and other urban amenities. The National Stadium, a large multisport arena, is located on the western edge of the Central Area. Abuja has an international airport, and expressways connect the federal capital with other cities. Power lines and underground cables conduct electricity to the city; the Shiroro Dam, on the Niger River southwest of Abuja, is one source. Population (2006) Abuja Municipal Area Council is at 776,298; (2016 est.) urban agglom., 2,940,000. Travelling from Owerri to Abuja by road is about 402.48 km at an estimated duration: 7 hours 10 minutes if average speed is 80km/hr.
Choosing A Bus from Owerri to Abuja
There are several factors to consider when choosing a bus from Owerri to Abuja as stated below:
1. Budget: When considering the transport company to choose, you should look out for a transport company that offers a price range you can afford.
- Convenience: It is very important that you ask about the seating arrangements, so you don’t end up squashed or in a terrible seat for a 7-hour trip. Using the mytrip.ng mobile app will definitely help archive that.
- Proximity to your home: You should pick a transport company that has a terminal close to where you live. This would allow you to get there early on the day of your trip.
- Route: Different Transport companies ply different routes from Owerri to Abuja, so it is advisable to pick a bus according to your preferred route.
The conditions stated above have been made so simple getting to know at your home with the use of the mytrip.ng mobile App.
Finding Abuja Bound Buses
There are several companies which offer road transport services from Owerri to Abuja. The buses which travel from Owerri to Abuja route can be found at any of the following terminals;
Owerri North (Ho)
Km 5 MCC Uratta Rd
Owerri, Imo State
+234 813 986 2090, firstname.lastname@example.org
Owerri Terminal, Imo State
Plot 9 Egbu Road,
Owerri, Imo State
Cost of Owerri to Abuja Buses
A bus ticket from Owerri to Abuja costs an average of N11,000 depending on the transport company and the category/ type of bus used for the journey. This is subject to change by the specific transport company. For current information on bus fares and routes, please download and check the mytrip.ng mobile App on Google playstore for real time prices of buses.
Travel Time from Owerri to Abuja
A trip from Lagos to Abuja by road is approximately8 hours 39 minutes. This is based on militating factors that varies on weather, route taken etc. The time taken to travel by road from Lagos to Aba is about 8 to 9 hours. This wide time range depends on the following factors;
- The driving speed
- The nature and age of the vehicle
- The condition of the road on the route taken
- Traffic; this could be caused by various reasons, ranging from accidents to road repairs
- The route taken by the driver.
What to Pack
- Pack light. A trick I apply is that I make sure every item of clothing can be worn at least 3 times. Having a small bag will also give you a lot less to worry about while getting on board the bus.
- If you have to carry heavy bags, then you should be at the bus park about an hour earlier than the tentative take off time, so you and the transport company assistants can figure out the best way to cram your luggage into the bus.
- Your carry-on should be a backpack or a large handbag, since you can easily drop either on the floor of the bus if you get tired of carrying it on your lap
What to Eat
The bus usually makes a stop at Auchi. You will find sufficient food items at this stop if you decide not to bring some from home.
It is advisable to eat light or not at all if like me, your stomach has no respect for you. This is because the only bathroom option available to you after the stop is the bushes by the roadside.
Where to Stay
There are a lot of tourist places and hotels in Abuja that visitors don’t need to worry about where they could sleep in the cause of their visit. The hotels in Abuja are classified in to executive, medium and low budget. Everyone can get accommodation no matter your budget, but for comfortability, convenience and security wise, we encourage you to use Nordic Villa Hotels offers Scandinavian design accommodation in Jabi. Guests can enjoy the on-site bar. Free WiFi is provided throughout the property and free private parking is available on site.
- A seat right beside the window would be perfect if you can get it. They are usually the first seats to go. If you would like a window seat it is advisable to get to the bus park early.
- Prepare for weather changes by carrying a big scarf or a sweater.
- Expect stretches of bumpy roads, so keep a packet of panadol in your bag for a resulting headache.
- You may sleep your way through most of the trip, it’ll seem faster that way.
- Keep your carry-on bag close to you at all times.
- Read signposts to get your bearings. If you need advice or help when you get to your stop, ask the driver or other passengers for help.
- Make sure you keep someone at home or at your destination abreast of your progress via text or phone call.
For your travel updates on prices, available buses, different selection of preferred bus and selection of preferred choice seat in real time, get to the Google play store, search for mytrip.ng mobile App, download, install, register, login and all is set on your finger tip. Mytrip.ng: a smarter way to travel across Nigerian States.