Owerri is the town capital of Imo state, southern Nigeria, at the intersection of roads from Aba, Onitsha, Port Harcourt, and Umuahia. It is the chief trade centre of yams, cassava [manioc], corn [maize], and palm products for a region of modified rainforest that also yields rubber for export. It is known for its handicraft centres. Although there is as yet little industrial development, one factory produces galvanized sheet iron.
The town is home to the Federal University of Technology Owerri, Imo State University, Alvan Ikoku Federal College of Education, and several secondary schools. It is also served by a general hospital. The town is located in one of the most densely populated areas of Nigeria and is inhabited by the predominantly Christian Igbo people with a population of (2016 est.) urban agglom., 540,000. It also serve as a tourist town for visitors. Travelling from Owerri to Lagos by road is about 513km and takes 5hrs 10mins at an average speed of 102km/h.
Choosing A Bus from Lagos to Owerri
There are several factors to consider when choosing a bus from Lagos to Owerri as stated below:
1. Budget: When considering the transport company to choose, you should look out for a transport company that offers a price range you can afford.
2. Convenience: It is very important that you ask about the seating arrangements, so you don’t end up squashed or in a terrible seat for a 6-hour trip. Using the mytrip.ng mobile app will definitely help archive that.
3. Proximity to your home: You should pick a transport company that has a terminal close to where you live. This would allow you to get there early on the day of your trip.
4. Route: Different Transport companies ply different routes from Lagos to Owerri, so it is advisable to pick a bus according to your preferred route.
The conditions stated above have been made so simple getting to know at your home with the use of the mytrip.ng mobile App.
Finding Owerri Bound Buses
There are several companies which offer road transport services from Lagos to Owerri. The buses which travel from Lagos to Owerri route can be found at any of the following terminals;
Amuwo Odofin Terminal, Lagos
Plot 79,Oba Kayode Akinyemi Way By Festac Bttpass,
Bolade Oshodi Terminal, Lagos
129 Agege Motor Road
Jibowu Terminal, Lagos
22, Ikorodu Road, Jibowu, Yaba,
Lagos Ajah Terminal
Km 21 Lekki-Ajah Expressway, beside Ajiwe Police Station Ajah
Lekki Ticketing Outlet
Opp Jakande 1st gate Beside FCMB Bank, Lekki Expressway
No 35 Old Ojo roads, by Dandolas Park MazaMaza
Cost of Lagos to Owerri Buses
A bus ticket from Lagos to Owerri costs an average of N5,500 depending on the transport company and the category/ type of bus used for the journey. This is subject to change by the specific transport company. For current information on bus fares and routes, please download and check the mytrip.ng mobile App on Google playstore for real time prices of buses.
Travel Time from Lagos to Owerri
A trip from Lagos to Owerri by road is approximately5 hours 30 minutes. This is base on militating factors that varies on weather, route taken etc. The time taken to travel by road from Lagos to Owerri is about 5 to 5 hours. This wide time range depends on the following factors;
1. The driving speed
2. The nature and age of the vehicle
3. The condition of the road on the route taken
4. Traffic; this could be caused by various reasons, ranging from accidents to road repairs
5. The route taken by the driver.
What to Pack
1. Pack light. A trick I apply is that I make sure every item of clothing can be worn at least 3 times. Having a small bag will also give you a lot less to worry about while getting on board the bus.
2. If you have to carry heavy bags, then you should be at the bus park about an hour earlier than the tentative take off time, so you and the transport company assistants can figure out the best way to cram your luggage into the bus.
3. Your carry-on should be a backpack or a large handbag, since you can easily drop either on the floor of the bus if you get tired of carrying it on your lap.
What to Eat
The bus usually makes a stop at Asaba. You will find sufficient food items at this stop if you decide not to bring some from home. It is advisable to eat light or not at all if like me, your stomach has no respect for you. This is because the only bathroom option available to you after the stop is the bushes by the roadside.
Where to Stay
There are a lot of tourist places and hotels in Owerri that visitors don’t need to worry about where they could sleep in the cause of their visit. The hotels in Owerri are classified in to executive, medium and low budget. Everyone can get accommodation no matter your budget, but for comfortability, convenience and security wise, we encourage you to use House 57 Bar & Suites Ltd which is always open 24/7. The hotel is located at Owerri, 9 km from Rojenny Tourist Village, House 57 Bar & Suites Ltd offers accommodation with a restaurant, free private parking, a bar and a shared lounge.
1. A seat right beside the window would be perfect if you can get it. They are usually the first seats to go. If you would like a window seat it is advisable to get to the bus park early.
2. Prepare for weather changes by carrying a big scarf or a sweater.
3. Expect stretches of bumpy roads, so keep a packet of panadol in your bag for a resulting headache.
4. You may sleep your way through most of the trip, it’ll seem faster that way.
5. Keep your carry-on bag close to you at all times.
6. Read signposts to get your bearings. If you need advice or help when you get to your stop, ask the driver or other passengers for help.
7. Make sure you keep someone at home or at your destination abreast of your progress via text or phone call.
For your travel updates on prices, available buses, different selection of preferred bus and selection of preferred choice seat in real time, get to the Google play store, search for mytrip.ng mobile App, download, install, register, login and all is set on your finger tip. Mytrip.ng: a smarter way to travel across Nigerian States.